Berliner Startup Stipendium – Sustainable City and Future Health
You have an idea that needs to become reality? Your research could make this world a better place if turned into a product or service? Science & Startups will help you along your journey!
Book your initial consultation now!
The funding program
Please note: You will learn about all details and things you need to remember in your mandatory first consultation before applying. Don’t hesitate to contact us!
- What: Technology and/or science-based ideas that have not yet been founded
- Who: Teams consisting of 2-4 members
- How much: 2,200 euros per person per month
- How long: 6-12 months
What the Science & Startups network offers you on top of that
- Incubation at one of the startup support units at FU, HU, TU, or Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
- Contact to potential clients and investors
- Peer learning with your fellow founders
- Access to the cutting-edge research of the universities
- Access to workshops, master classes, match-making events and networking platforms at all four institutions
- Intensive individual coaching and training based on your needs
- Mentoring provided by leaders in science and business
- On-campus coworking space
- Access to laboratories and technical equipment as needed
- More details further below and in your mandatory consultation.
Deep Dive: Sustainable City
Smart food and agriculture, green energy, new forms of mobility, sustaining our mental health, developing new ideas for the workplace, shaping a circular economy, developing new materials for new technology, making digitalization, media literacy and cyber security a priority – these subjects and so many more will be needed in the near future for sustainable, smart, digital cities and the people inhabitating them. This is exactly where your research is headed? Then apply for a Berliner Startup Stipendium!
Deep Dive: Health
Are you a researcher, student, alumni, PhD candidate or post-doc from the health sector? You have an idea, maybe already the idea for a product or service in the fields of diagnostics, therapy, nursing, rehabilitation, health care, and quality of life in case of illness and injury? Apply to receive funding and coaching to startup your solution.
Book your consultation now to start your startup journey!
Get in touch!
Please contact the respective startup support units to start your journey with Science & Startups. Consultation before your actual application are mandatory to make sure you have everything you need to successfully apply beforehand.
Centre for Entrepreneurship – Technische Universität Berlin
Profund Innovation – Freie Universität Berlin
Humboldt Innovation – Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
BIH Innovations – Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
Which requirements do you need to fulfill to apply?
Please note that requirements may vary slightly for each startup service, team and deep dive batch – individual requirements will be made transparent in the initial advising session.
The idea, product or service for your startup must be:
- Tech-based/science-based innovative product or service
- Health: medical engineering, diagnostics, therapy, nursing, rehabilitation, health care, software, quality of life, etc.
- Sustainable City: Energy, Mobility, (mental) Health, New Work, Circular Economy, Materials, E-Learning, Smart Food & Agriculture, Green FinTech, etc.
- Clearly innovative or represent an improvement on competitor projects and/or the status quo (for example, in terms of customer benefits or sustainable unique features)
Requirements for teams and team members:
- Graduates with specialist technical knowledge and who are resident in Berlin (resident address is a non-negiotiable requirements)
- Teams have to consist of two to four members
- Startup team members must demonstrate commitment to the realization of their idea (at least 24 hours per week) and be present at the work station assigned to them
- Teams may not have already submitted their idea to another university
- Parallel funding from other programs, whether currently or in the past, is not possible (EXIST business startup grants or in combination with startup grants provided by employment agencies)
- The project may not already be functioning as a business and may not be commercially active
- A professional recommendation, such as from an industry expert or academic mentor, is required for application.
The application procedure
Please note that while the application process is essentially identical at all universities, the timing may vary slightly.
- Initial advising session
Once the basic funding conditions are fulfilled, an initial discussion or orientation discussion will then be held at the university where the application is to be submitted. Please arrange an appointment with the specified contact person ahead of the deadline.
- Written application
You will be provided with the application papers once you have successfully completed the initial discussion. Once preselection has been completed, you will either be invited to present your project to our jury or receive a letter informing you that your application has not been successful.
- Jury pitch
You and your team will then pitch your project to our jury. The jury consists of representatives of the universities as well as experts from the Berlin and national startup scenes. The jury decides on the suitability of your project for funding.
- Funding of successful teams
Yay, off we go!
- Interim presentation
Teams regularly will be invited to make an interim presentation. A jury will feedback on the basis of the progress made and additional funding requirements.